Free Friday ‘App’etizer

In my current district, I send out a weekly email to the teachers of the buildings I work with. Every Friday I send out a ‘free Friday Appetizer’; this is an app which is either free or temporarily free. I include a description on how this app could be used in the classroom. My department has recently started a blog. I have posted on there for topics which were geared for the 1:1 teachers, but will now start adding my weekly emails as posts. I thought this would be a great place to include them too.

Week of Oct. 17:
This week’s ‘app’etizer is Pattern Shapes, by the Math Learning Center.

I like this app because in a sense it is two apps in one.  First, students can manipulate the various geometric shapes on the screen, simply be dragging and dropping (a skill needed for PARCC).  While interacting with the shapes, they can see a relationship between them;
one hexagon is composed of a triangle, a parallelogram, and a trapezoid (CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.G.A.2)   The second aspect of this app which I like is how it offers tangrams for the students to complete.
Challenge your students with Symmetry!  “Can you make a reflection of this shape?”
I hope you enjoy this app and add it to your collection of Math Tool Apps.

Cross-posted: http://wwp1to1.blogspot.com/2014/10/free-friday-appetizer-for-october-17.html