Take a Road Trip using a Green Screen

After some students completed a Social Studies unit on the Northeast Region of the United States, the classroom teacher and I wanted them to pick five locations to “visit”.  Using a few apps: Comic Life, Green Screen, LayerPic HD, and the built-in Maps app; students were able to create a one page comic about their trip.  They included information about each location which describes the importance of the place.  They also selected a vehicle to travel in and created a map, using the vehicle as a symbol for where they stopped.  Below is my example, included are links to the apps as well as the planning packet used:

Where would you go on a Northeast Region Road Trip?

4 comments for “Take a Road Trip using a Green Screen

1. Lisa
    April 28, 2015 at 11:16 am

Can each image be downloaded as a jpeg? We do not have Ipads or apple products on our campus. But if we could use mine to create and then upload the images into a pc, we could use a Windows program to continue.

• Mr. G.
      April 28, 2015 at 11:27 am

That was a great question! I went back to my iPad and uploaded an image from Green Screen to Dropbox; it saved as a .jpg file. Hopefully that will be a type that will work on your PCs. If not, you could use http://www.zamzar.com/ as an online file converter.

2. Andrea
    April 27, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Love this idea. Don’t have those apps on our ipads, and have to jump through some hoops to get them ordered, but I think it will be totally worth it for our students to have a new way to do “reports” for social studies projects. Can think of other applications too, such as using this process for presenting what they learned in their history projects.

• Mr. G.
      April 27, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Yes these apps lend themselves to many different applications in school!