My Blogging Story… #EdublogsClub

So I thought I would try my hand at blogging… sharing ideas, thoughts, and maybe a little whimsy. We’ll see how it goes.

Those were the first lines of blogging text posted to the second iteration of this blog back in April of 2012. Now, nearly five years and over 120 posts later I’m still looking for ways to increase/improve my blogging. That’s where #EdublogsClub comes in!

What is the #EdublogsClub?

This is a creation of Ronnie Burt, where once you’ve signed up, each Tuesday you will have a prompt emailed to you. These prompts will be on a specific topic with enough flexability to post what works for you. Once you post, you then comment on that week’s blog post for the #EdublogsClub w/ the link to yours. You can also share via the social network(s) of your using. You can read what others have posted, and potentially leave comments growing your personal learning network.

Try things that fit what you need…

That last part is what speaks to me. See when I started blogging (the first iteration, pre-2012) the blog was a means for communicating what was happening in my classroom. I taught fourth grade and each week a different student had the ‘job’ of posting to our classroom blog. This took the task of sending out a weekly bulletin to my students’ parents out of my hands and placed the responsibility into my students’ hands. Then my career took a different path, I was no longer a classroom teacher and I became a technology coach for teachers. What to do with my blog???

A new path!

I transitioned to more of a reflection, recommendation, and retelling of my tech experiences. I wanted a place where others could learn about what I have shown teachers and hopefully it will be a virtual help to them. I also wanted to hear/learn from those who read my posts. But unfortunately that hasn’t been the case. Maybe its because I don’t have many who follow/read my blog, maybe the posts don’t speak to them. I try to make it a point to end each of my posts these last couple years with a question to spark comments, but only on a couple of occasions have dialogues sprouted. I hope that this will change with the #EdublogsClub.

A long time ago, yada, yada, yada…

A couple of years ago, I did get the opportunity to hear from someone, Rafranz Davis, whom I had the pleasure of meeting in person at a SMART Global Summit, who encouraged me to continue blogging. When we met face to face she informed me that she enjoyed reading my recommendations but hadn’t recalled one for quite some time. She wished I would post more (at the time, it was exactly what I needed to hear).

Sometimes you don’t know the impact you have on others.

See, I can look on the dashboard at the number of subscribers (11, thank you to each of you who subscribe) but that doesn’t reflect the true reach of your posts (this would be the advice or rather the tip to remember for those starting out). I have a ‘gadget’ setup to automatically tweet when I publish a new post, anyone who reads the blog from that link are unknown to me. Also, I use a service, Feedly, to curate all the blogs I follow; I have no way of knowing how many readers use something similar and have this blog as a favorite. Keep blogging, even if you don’t believe someone is reading, because you never know who is or will be reading. I have on several occasions returned to past posts to recall what I did to setup a workflow or try to remember a tool I recommended a ways back which might help one of my teachers now.

Will you be taking the #EdublogsClub challenge and post this year? I would love to read about it and click your links in the comments below.

10 comments for “My Blogging Story… #EdublogsClub

1. Anne
    January 6, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Thanks for sharing your blogging path. It is comforting to know that we all meander and question along the way. I feel that this new blogging journey is adding a level of human-ness to the ether that I have missed. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the coming weeks and months.

• Mr. G.
      January 6, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Thank you for commenting, it’s good to know sometimes that you are not the only one in the same boat.

2. January 5, 2017 at 10:08 pm

G’day Mr G,
    Love the avatar! One of the great activities we undertook when teaching in a classroom.

That problem of writing on a regular basis – I find that too on some of my blogs but now that each blog has a specific purpose, I find it a lot easier to write weekly or fortnightly.

I also wrote about my blog story on my work blog – http://www.xpress360.net.au/blog/2017/01/06/edublogsclub/

Sue @tasteach

• Mr. G.
      January 6, 2017 at 7:56 am

Hi Sue,

Yes, writing on a regular basis is difficult. I try to use this blog as a catch-all of tech experiences w/ teachers, but as I find with a tech coach job, there are lulls in the schedule, for instance, recently leading up to winter break and just afterward. Those slower times makes for a harder time in gathering ideas to write about.

3. Melanie
    January 5, 2017 at 3:24 am

Great first post! Sounds like you and I have some things in common with leaving the classroom and becoming a coach and looking for purpose with our sites. I look forward to reading more of you!
    https://mrsruiz.net/2017/01/05/my-blog-story/
    @mrsruiz2301

• Mr. G.
      January 5, 2017 at 7:58 am

Great to connect with you too, Melanie! I look forward to reading along on your blog and will add it to my Feedly!

4. Sue Waters
    January 4, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Hi Dan

Thanks for sharing your blogging story!

“with a question to spark comments” – commenting is the harder part of blogging. Commenting really is an important part of the process because you can learn so much by engaging in conversations in comments and it is important for building your blog community. Years ago we did a challenge specifically to encourage commenting. I learnt a lot about the different reasons why people don’t comment but one of the most interesting aspects was even some of the more experience bloggers were reluctant commenters — once you add a comment it Is done unlike a post that you can edit or remove.

You can read my blogging story here – http://suewaters.com/2017/01/04/my-blogging-story/

I’m still formulating my own personal goals for the #EdublogsClub as I read everyone’s posts.

@suewaters

• Mr. G.
      January 5, 2017 at 8:01 am

Sue, I never thought of the finality of comments. It does make sense, I have gone back over posts with updates, new tricks I’ve learned, or when a new feature gets released, but once that comment is posted, there is no taking it back or revising it.

5. Alicia
    January 4, 2017 at 7:10 pm

I need to remind myself about reach all of the time. But no matter what, if you/I like what we’re doing, that’s all that matters.

• Mr. G.
      January 5, 2017 at 8:03 am

Alicia, sometimes even when you like something there are times when you question it. I hope that the questioning doesn’t ever get in the way of the doing.