My Work Space… #EdublogsClub

This post is part of the #EdublogsClub – a group of educators and educational technology enthusiasts that blog around a common theme each week. Simply write a post and share it (via social media w/ #edublogsclub or posting a link as a comment to that topic’s posting on the Edublogger site) to join in, or sign up to receive email reminders of each new prompt. 

Sometimes it is interesting how various items converge around the same time. This week’s topic, a blog post from Richard Byrne called ‘Why We Feel Attached to Our Stuff‘, and news on my current space at work have all converged this week to make for a timely post.

I don’t normally veer off from talking about technology integration, but this is one topic which I felt warranted the diversion. Let’s take a little detour and get caught up on some backstory. At the beginning of the school year, I approached my building’s principal with an idea. Let’s take one of the abandoned computer labs (all students in the building now have Chromebooks) and let’s convert it to a training center for teachers. She was on board and the start of room 619 becoming a space for teachers to learn happened. Now fast forward to just coming back from winter break. Due to some circumstances beyond my control, I was informed that the space would need to be shared with our PRISM (gifted) program. So this week started construction on the space. All of the custom tables (from when this was a computer lab) were removed, painting began, and the equipment from their previous space started transporting to this space.

20170111-091311.jpg

How the room looked on Tuesday

As teachers have walked by, many have stopped in to see the transformation take place. Several have asked the same question, “Are you upset about this?” My response has surprised many and I think I can attribute it to reading the post and watching the video (embedded below)

I recognize the room is not “mine“, even if I wanted it to be, it couldn’t.

Have you ever had a change to your space that you had no control over? I would love to read about how you handle/dealt with the change in the comments below.

9 comments for “My Work Space… #EdublogsClub

1. Tara Dye
    January 15, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Best of luck, we transformed out schools computer lab to a makerspace and now it is to become the office and the makerspace is moving across the hall. It has not always been easy but it is exciting to watch and in the end it is the best for everyone. Best of luck with your changing spaces!

• Mr. G.
      January 15, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Tara, thank you. It will be a on-going transition. We need to temporarily transition by the end of next week, to get up and running by the start of the third semester. But then plan more permanent changes to be constructed over the summer.

2. Melanie Ruiz
    January 12, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Another great post Mr. G! I failed the captcha so this is my second attempt at a post and it probably won’t be as awesome as my first since I am bothered by the Internet eating my detailed first post comment to you. 😐

*copies her post in case she fails captcha again*

Anyway… you are so right about the irony of similar topics coming up in various forums. Just yesterday I attended an edWeb webinar called “reThinking Learning Spaces: 21st Century Design to Support the 4 C’s.” I would post the link to the recorded webinar, but it isn’t available yet. In the webinar, 3 educators were talking about how they redesigned “abandoned” computer labs and other spaces due to their schools going 1:1. It was a very inspiring webinar. My district is no where near being in the same position as you or the educators in the webinar. We are only just getting around to making sure each site (elementary and secondary) has enough labs, and then that the labs are equipped with computers that actually work. So we don’t have any “abandoned” labs to make over sadly.

You mentioned the space being for teachers, why not for students too?

Thank you for sharing your space with us. Please post more photos of it once it is all done, I would love to see how it turns out!

• Mr. G.
      January 12, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Melanie, first let me say, I’m sorry for the captcha mishap, I bet this comment is just as good, if not better, than your first. I love the idea of having the space also designed for students. I had that in mind for a longer term transition. I know that I still have some teachers in my building who feel apprehensive looking like they don’t know something in front of students. Eventually, depending on how things come about, the space would become a learning space for both teachers & students.

• Melanie Ruiz
        January 13, 2017 at 5:40 pm

LOL, no need for apologies Mr. G, its my own fault…captchas can get me sometimes and I didn’t realize it refreshed itself. I think designing your space for teachers to use first then students is great. It allows the teachers to get familiar with it, recognize and experience the benefits, then bring their students in to experience the same benefits. Well done!

3. dgoheen
    January 12, 2017 at 8:07 am

I’m always amazed when people come into the library and say, “Can I reserve your library for class research?” I always correct them and say, “It’s OUR library.” Having said that though, it does bother me when administrators view the library as simply a big empty space. I’ve actually been asked before if I would mind if walls were built downsizing my library to make more room for SPED offices for people who are only on my campus one day a week.

As a classroom teacher, I never felt I had to protect my classroom. I knew I would always have a classroom. I might have to travel or it might not be the same room from year to year, but I would always have a classroom in which to teach my class. However, as a librarian, I have had to defend the library space on multiple occasions. People don’t seem to understand that it’s a public space, so no you can’t shut the entire library down for an ARD and no, you cannot chip away at the space to create more offices for people who come to our campus for brief periods of time. I find I have to lobby for the space to be open and accessible for ALL students all the time. It’s been an eye opening experience for me transitioning from teacher to librarian.

• Mr. G.
      January 12, 2017 at 6:21 pm

I, too, always felt confident (when I was in the classroom) to always have a space. Since it would directly affect students, the classroom wouldn’t be affected by changing space purposes. Now that I am out of the classroom, finding space has been a challenge, just have to not get attached as well as be flexible.

4. Penny Christensen
    January 11, 2017 at 7:39 pm

You are incredibly zen considering the state of affairs in that owner-free room. I think the “building” would send me over the edge; I am glad you are such a team player!

Nice blog – thanks for sharing!

• Mr. G.
      January 12, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Penny! Thank you for stopping by and giving it a gander. I always enjoying taking a look at the Hot Lunch Tray too!