Catch-up Week… #EdublogsClub

This post is part of the #EdublogsClub – a group of educators and educational technology enthusiasts that blog around a common theme each week. Simply write a post and share it (via social media w/ #edublogsclub or posting a link as a comment to that topic’s posting on the Edublogger site) to join in, or sign up to receive email reminders of each new prompt. This is the 20th prompt in the series (if you’re counting at home, I skipped #15-19 because I couldn’t authentically write a post about the topic at the time) To catch-up I’m going to combine the 16th & 19th prompts into one post.

Prompt: Write a post that tells a story.

• Tell a story about a time in your career as an educator that you want to share. It can be a positive memory, a time you wish you could change the outcome, a student you remember, or just a class lesson you want to share.

Prompt: Write a post about social media.

Here are some possible topics to help get you started:

• Do you use social media to share with parents or your school community?
  • How have you used social media in the classroom with students?
  • How do you use social media to make you a better teacher?
  • Do you have guidelines that you use with students?
  • Have you experienced a story related to the use of social media?
  • What do you think is next for the use of social media in education?

Back in the beginning of April, I accepted a position (part-time) w/ ThingLink as their Education Social Media Specialist. This, in a way, explains, partially, why there haven’t been as many posts on here lately. I have a variety of responsibilities with this new position:

• I maintain the @ThingLink_EDU Twitter account where I tweet out various content related tweets and engage with our education followers
  • I discover & author a weekly post on the ThingLink Blog for Education highlighting an ‘Image of the Week’
  • Establish a presence on Google+ (coming soon)
  • Other tasks which might come up like potential video tutorials

I have been using Hootsuite to help maintain and schedule tweets for the account. One feature which is crucial to my engaging with educators is by creating multiple tabs on the dashboard showing ‘Mentions’, ‘Searched Keywords’, & ‘Lists’. It is exciting to engage with educators around the globe in a different way, it’s almost like switching hats going from my personal account to the ThingLink_EDU account. I have gained inspiration and ideas from seeing how other educators are incorporating ThingLink.