Flipping the Learning by Starting with a Question… and a Bonus!

My instructional practice question for you is this, why spend class time teaching the features of a product rather than your content or providing time for researching?

The scenario

One of my teachers would like to have her students create infographics on how a topic of the student’s choosing affects the systems of the human body while showcasing how the systems are interconnected. But, she is crunched for time to do the research and didn’t think she could teach what is an infographic. Our solution, flip the learning on this topic. We found some great examples of infographics and a TED Talk about visualizing data. Using Edpuzzle, we combined all of our items together to give the students an overview of what “is” an infographic.

Want to try out a ‘Student’ version?

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I want to utilize Google Classroom on this blog more as a means for other educators to see real examples. This activity is linked to an “Assignment” in a Google Classroom I created for this blog (Code: mfq04n). If you try to sign up with your school account and get an error message, it is probably because your school’s domain is locked down and you can’t join outside of your domain. You may have to join with your personal Google account or create a free Google account.

Don’t have time to try it as an assignment?

You can watch the video embedded below, but your responses are not saved and you will be able to skip ahead. This will also allow you to copy this Edpuzzle to your account’s Content.

The Bonus… Let’s Explore How This Was Student-Centered

This was a student-centered project because they had choice in the topic to research, choice in whether to work alone or in pairs, choice in how to present their infographic (digital or on paper) & if they chose digital, choice in which tech tool to use. The students were the drivers of this activity, though they didn’t have a choice in creating an Infographic. This was intentional; the objective of the activity was to present data visually which showcases the interconnectivity of the human body systems.

The buttons above will open each example in a new tab. Names have been removed to protect identities. What I love are the uses of color and images, design structures, heck even GIF’s and showcasing artistic abilities.

How have you flipped learning in your classroom? I would love to read about your experiences in the comments below.