Assisting 2 Students with a Passion Project

My office space is shared with our Media Specialist, so that places me in the school library. During the lunch recesses, students have the option to come into the library to do work. On one particular day, I noticed two sixth grade students sitting together intently staring at a Chromebook (CB), laughing/giggling, but very focused. Focused to the point of when I walked up behind them, crouched down, and listened in, they had no idea I was there. For the next five minutes, the conversation I heard was quite impressive.

They discussed how they wanted to create a space where others could learn about Origami. The conversation covered aspects of organizing, audience retention, visualizing directions, etc. I was so impressed I think I let a “Wow” slip out which clued them in on my presence. They were quick to try to close the CB because they thought since it wasn’t school work they were going to get in trouble. On the contrary, I wanted to offer my support/services. They settled on creating video tutorials; I offered up my document camera and assisting them in recording videos. They wanted to offer a means for their audience to suggest projects; we embedded a Google Form on their main page. It is still a work in progress, but they are trucking along to make this the best they can.

If you have a minute or two, explore their site, offer a suggestion of a project. Thank you in advance!

Origami Tutorials

What passion projects are your students working on?