2 Video Tool Recs… #EdublogsClub

This post is part of the #EdublogsClub – a group of educators and educational technology enthusiasts that blog around a common theme each week. Simply write a post and share it (via social media w/ #edublogsclub or posting a link as a comment to that topic’s posting on the Edublogger site) to join in, or sign up to receive email reminders of each new prompt. 

Prompt: Write a post about videos and/or that includes a video.

Here are some possible topics to help get you started:

• Write a post about any topic, but embed a video. Even better if you created the video!
  • Discuss how videos have helped you engage students?
  • How have videos helped you be a better educator?
  • Share a story about a lesson that involves videos and how the students responded in ways you didn’t expect.
  • Create a list of video clips that either provide educator professional development or help create lessons in the classroom.
  • If you find incorporating videos difficult, discuss why you find them challenging.

One tool that I recommend to teachers who find it difficult to incorporate video in the classroom is VideoNot.es. This is a tool which connects with your Google Drive to save your files. The power of VideoNot.es is in the ability to sync your text to the timestamp of the video. As the .gif image (click it to see it in action) below shows, as text is typed, it is timestamped to that moment in the video.

‘How to Start a Movement’ TED Talk

VideoNot.es File (view only)

My second recommendation is for teachers to use EDpuzzle and flip their instruction. EDpuzzle allows you to pause videos for thought points, open response questions, or multiple choice questions. Below is an example to try out.

If you have used or plan on incorporating either of these tools in your teaching, I would love to hear from you in the comments below.

4 comments for “2 Video Tool Recs… #EdublogsClub

1. Aaron Davis
    June 10, 2017 at 6:37 am

I often talk about creating video (http://readwriterespond.com/2017/05/creating-video-content/) and consuming through such means as playlists (http://readwriterespond.com/2017/06/an-introduction-to-youtube/). However, I have not really thought a lot about annotating etc.

Have you ever used Vialogues? (https://vialogues.com/) Wondering where that sits with your collection?

• Mr. G.
      June 10, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Aaron, thank you for introducing a new tool to me. I have never heard of Vialogues before, it will have to be something I check out. Do you know more about it? I looked at their terms of service and privacy policy and saw no mention of Coppa or age restrictions which makes me hesitant to use it with students. Do students need an account to use the tool?

• Aaron Davis
        June 11, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Hmmm, you maybe onto something there. Kevin Hodgson uses it a fair bit with adult education and said that it was 13+ so therefore inappropriate for his primary students.

• Mr. G.
          June 12, 2017 at 9:01 am

Thank you for getting back to me. It could be something I use with teachers and just offer alternatives for them to use with their students.