Choose Your Own Adventure

Professional development is a hard task to fulfill.  Teachers have varying skills and needs.  Sometimes topics can be too large to cover in a short period of time or they can be too specific and not really apply to the majority of your colleagues.  This is something that I as well as my teammates deal with regularly.  During the last “Lunch N’ Learn” offering Kim (my counterpart at another middle school) & I wanted to tackle this dilemma head-on.  She surveyed her staff to see what topic they were most interested in investigating.  The overwhelming majority selected Digital Assessment.  HUGE umbrella topic!  We broke it up into four categories, ‘Quick, On the Fly Assessments’, ‘Project-based Assessments’, ‘Teacher Created, Interactive Assessments’, or ‘ Google Forms’.  In the end, we asked teachers to fill out our Padlet Exit Ticket.  This entire PD Session, not only allowed for attendee choice & discovery, but it was also a demonstration on how to organize and conduct this kind of facilitating learning for their classrooms.  Check it out below: [Tackk went away in 2018]